This 5-Week Series will take place on Monday 17th, 24th and 31st January,7th and 14th of February. This Series is aimed at SNAs working with autistic students in Primary and Post-primary schools and will cover the following areas:
Learning outcomes for the 5 week SNA course.
1) Characteristics of autism; Strengths and challenges: The participants will be introduced to the characteristic strengths and needs of autistic learners, the main psychological theories of autism and the different perspectives of intellectual rather than intuitive learners. This seminar will set the foundation blocks for further, deeper understanding to come.
2) Sensory processing: Pathway to Sensory Inclusion: The participants will follow a 4 step process from Awareness to Understanding to application and Inclusion of Sensory needs in a school Environment. It is hoped that the participants will gain a further understanding of the Sensory Differences involved with Neurodiversity.
3) Communication: Social Communication and Interaction: The participants will take a deep look at the areas of Communication and interaction by looking at developmental levels, play skills and social interaction demands. There is a focus on the shared responsibility for social communication.
4) Stressful behaviour: A deep look at behaviours that may occur due to stress and distress. The participants will look at the low arousal approach to stressful behaviours, the communication underlying stressors and strategies for helping students achieve a sense of regulation.
5) Safe Social Story Creation. The participants will be brought through the stages of writing Social Narratives for children that are Safe, Explicit, Accurate and Meaningful(SEAM) focussing on information that informs children of what they are expected to do rather than not do.
Facilitator Shaun Greville
Shaun is returning to school in the Esker Centre, Ballinamere after 5 years secondment to the SESS and latterly NCSE. He fulfilled the roles of Advisor and Assistant National Coordinator for the autism team with a focus on in school support for teachers and both in school and external CPD regarding autism.
|Course Date||17-01-2022 5:00 pm|
|Event End Date||14-02-2022 6:00 pm|
|Registration Start Date||13-12-2021 11:00 am|
|Cut off date||17-01-2022 12:00 pm|
|Individual Price||Twenty Euro|
West Cork Education Support Centre,
Eircode: P47 FH27