Making a difference to others with John Lonergan
John Lonergan 23 May 2019 – Advice to educators/parents
• Most important gifts you can give children are: self-confidence and vocabulary to express themselves
• Help children to find that special gift – they could be a pilot. We must keep children in education until Leaving Cert
• Never pass a hurtful comment to or put down a child
• Connection is far more important than correction
• To be great at anything you have to love what you’re doing – you have to love your job and love your children
• You must be an optimist – see challenging behavior as a challenge – how can I manage that?
• Build a relationship with the children
• Be a safe person for children, do not be moody. Predictability is huge for children, reliability, safety, be kind – never be miserable with kindness. Put your energy into making the best of what you have. Best compliment you could get is to be told that you are sound!
• Encourage, encourage. Belief, belief. Creative Arts, Drama
• Always acknowledge any progress or steps
• Never humiliate ever – deal with it. Don’t be looking for apologies
• Make a point of explaining things – the reason I am doing this is …take the time to explain – children love explanations
• Children will forget what you said but they will not forget how you treated them
• Respect others, be nice and smile!
- Created on .